Monday, February 23, 2009

a little bit of soul...


Hooray for not feeling ill! And hooray for my veggies, who held up over the week until I was able to cook them. Last post I talked about how gross I felt and how, maybe, I should health up my recipes. And this time I did.

I went with a southern soul food meal, which isn't at all unheard of, but fun nonetheless. One thing that surprised me was the lack of vegetarian crock pot recipes. Even for something as simple as black eyed peas!! So these concoctions are totally on my own, outside of some advice on cooking times.

Black Eyed Peas with Snapped Green Beans

1 lb dried black eyed peas
1/2 lb fresh snap beans
2 cloves garlic
2-3 bay leaves
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp sage
1 cup of your choice of fresh veggies (tomato, bell pepper, onion, carrot)

Sort black eyed peas and soak overnight.

Rinse and place into crock pot, cover with water.

Add garlic, fresh tomato, bell pepper or onion (or carrot or whatever you desire) add to brew.

Add bay leaves, sea salt, black pepper and sage.

Turn on high, let cook for 4-5 hours (check it occasionally)



Turnip Greens

1 bunch turnip greens
1 ear fresh corn
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp tyme
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar

Chop up turnip greens and scrape corn kernels from cob. Put in pot and cover with water, add spices and vinegar. Let come to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until tender.


Corn Bread

2 tbsp vegetable shortening
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 egg substitute (powdered sub or applesauce)
2 cups stone ground corn meal
1 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp molasses
1 3/4 unsweetened soy or almond milk

Melt shortening in skillet (cast iron is best). Mix all dry ingredients plus molasses; then add egg sub and soy milk. Should be a thick mixture. Add melted shortening, and layer into heated skillet. Bake at 400 degrees, 25- 35 min or until brown.


Mashed potatoes are E-Z, make as usual, only soy butter not shortening, and soy milk. I like to throw in some garlic and fresh rosemary--and leave the skins on!

1 comment:

  1. I too am saddened by the lack of vegetarian crock pot recipes. Therefore, the only thing that I've made in a crock pot is a hunk of pork shoulder for BBQ nachos when we had some guests over. If you write a book on vegetarian and/or vegan crock potting, I'll totally buy a copy.

    ReplyDelete