Monday, February 2, 2009

Kombucha Adventures Continued


If you read my old blog, you would see one of my last posts was about me and my attempts at making Kombucha tea, yielding mixed results. Number one came out crazy tart and only produced one bottle. Two I didn't even bother drinking there was so little tea left, but I did have four scobys! Well, on to #3! This last batch I just bottled, it looks SOOOOO much better. Also, my boss Karen gave me a guide book to making the tea, and in some ways it has been helpful in making the fourth batch. Mainly in helping me identify if I should keep or discard a scoby, and how to maintain the ones I do keep.
These are the bottles from the third try--look, there is more than one!

*Here are the things I changed between batches two and three*
One: I switched from the Pyrex bowl to a thoroughly washed 2 gallon pickle jar.
Two: I started using a box of Lipton cold brew I had in the cabinet.
Three: Organic sugar, but not raw sugar.

5 comments:

  1. I like this blog. your chicken and dumplings look amazing!

    I still don't understand what kombucha or scoby is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

    Essentially, Kombucha is the Western name for sweetened tea or tisane that has been fermented using a macroscopic solid mass of microorganisms called a "kombucha colony" (or Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast aka: S.C.O.B.Y.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, and thanks Diana! I'm happy someone actually read the thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. more people might be inclined if you added a link to your old blog. you know your friends are lazy.

    ReplyDelete